The TMT International Observatory LLC (TIO), a non-profit organization, was established in May 2014 to carry out the construction and operation phases of a Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT).
The TIO partners are:
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
- National Research Council – Canada
- National Astronomical Observatory of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Department of Science and Technology of India
- National Institutes of Natural Sciences of Japan
- University of California (UC)
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) is a TIO Associate. Major funding has been provided by the Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation.